YES! Your needs and an Olympic athlete’s needs differ only by degree not kind. Increased cardio-respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility and balance are important to the world’s best athletes and to us. Of course, we can’t give everyone (at first!) the same weight that an Olympic athlete would use, but we both need functional fitness –and so do you! Through professional coaching and incremental weight assignment CrossFit can teach anyone who can care for themselves to perform safely the same movements typically utilized by professional athletes in elite and exclusive environments.
If your goal is to just get back in shape or get into your best physical condition then CrossFit may be for you. We will use all the following general physical skills in our workouts:
- Cardiovascular/Respiratory Endurance – The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina – The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility – The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed – The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination – The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular movement pattern.
- Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance – The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or a given intensity.